A BRIEF ON MINISTRY OF COMMERCE, INDUSTRY AND COOPERATIVES
The Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Cooperatives(MCIC) is one of the strong pillars of Lagos State economic development drive.
The Ministry has the responsibility to initiate, formulate and evaluate policies relating to Commerce, Industry and Cooperatives, and the promotion and development of cottage and small scale Industries in the State. While, also promoting development of Industrial Estates, Parks and Enterprise Zones, among others.
The Ministry in addition, organizes Trade Fairs and Exhibitions annually and also partners local and international organizations to promote Micro Small Medium Enterprises and Made-in-Nigeria products.
While also supervising the operations and programmesof two important agencies of the State Government: Lagos State Consumer Protection Agency (LASCOPA) and the Lagos State Cooperative College.
MCIC, has three (3) core departments, namely: Commerce, Industry and Cooperatives departments.
Department of Commerce is saddled with the responsibility of formulating and implementing trade and investment policies that promote commercial growth and sustainable business development of the State. The department operates through four sectionsto deliver on its assigned responsibilities: MSME Development, Auctioneering & Special Projects, Business Facilitation and Trade Promotion.
Department of Cooperatives is responsible for registering, monitoring, supervising and auditing ofCooperative Societies in Lagos State as backed up by the Cooperative Societies Laws of Lagos State, 2022.The Cooperatives Department operates through five units namely: Registration unit, Inspectorate unit, Mediation unit, Insurance unit, Monitoring and Enforcement unit. The department has 24 Area Offices scattered around local government areas in Lagos State and with over 16000 Cooperative Societies registered by the department since the creation of Lagos State.
Department of Industry, sees to the promotion of sustainable industrial growth and development of Estates and Parks, through improved business support policies, programmes and projects. The department is also responsible for liaising with the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment and other relevant government agencies on industrial development, trade promotion and facilitation in the State.
As part of the Ministry’s programmes to enhance the economic growth and development of Lagos State,MCIC, partners with various local and International Corporate organizations and donor agencies such as Gasselschaft Internationale Zusamnenarbeit (GIZ), Lagos State Chambers of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), National Association of Small Scale Industrialists (NASSI), Development Agenda for Western Nigeria (DAWN) Commission, Nigeria Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industries, Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA), National Association of Small and Medium Enterprise (NASME), Women in Business (WIBIZ) , Association of Business Owners of Nigeria among others.
NIGERIAN IMPORT AND EXPORT PROMOTIONS COUNCIL
OUR VISION : Business Prosperity and Consumer Satisfaction
MISSION STATEMENT :Promotion of sustainable commercial and industrial growth through improved business Support policies and infrastructure
- Initiation, formulation and evaluation of policies relating to Commerce and Industry
- Formulation of policies and programmes for the promotion and development of cottage and small scale industries in the state
- Liaison with the Federal Ministry of Industry (Trade and Investment) and other relevant government agencies on Industrial development, trade promotion and facilitation in Lagos State
- Promotion and development of industrial Estates, Parks, Enterprise zones including maintenance of infrastructures therein
- Liaison with relevant Industrial and Trade Groups and Associations
- Annual organization of Eko Expo Trade Fair
- Formulation and facilitation of State Government commercial activities
- Supervision and monitoring of the development of Lekki Free Trade Zone (LFTZ) and associated projects including the Airports, Seaports, Industrial Parks, and Enterprise Zones
- Supervision of Lagos State Consumer Protection Committee
- Inspection and monitoring of factories and industrial concerns in the State
- Supervision of Lekki Worldwide Investment Limited
- Research and development with respect to the production of industrial project profile and business directories in the state
- Research and Planning of State Industrial Master Plan
- Supervision of Cooperative Societies
- Supervision of Lagos State Cooperative College
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the Governor.
- Office of the Honourable Commissioner
- Office of the Special Adviser
- Administration and Human Resources
- Commerce Department
- Industry Department
- Cooperatives Department
- Accounts Department
- Public Affairs Unit
- Legal Unit
- Planning Unit
- Procurement Unit
- ICT Unit
- Audit Unit
Block 8, The Secretariat, Obafemi Awolowo Way, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos
Website: lagosstate.gov.ng, mcic.lagosstate.gov.ng